Astronaut Annie Blasts Off

This week flew by because after State Conference, I ended up working mornings at the Junior High helping with 9th-grade course selection. I love that our district does this, offers a one-hour parent/student conference with a school counselor, administrator or team leader to get their questions answered and their four-year plans written. It was my heart's delight to see students I'd not seen since third grade and help them prepare their high school pathway.

Interestingly enough, the three families I helped on Friday each had girls I had showcased at the Corner. Find those posts {here}, {here} and {here}. 

It doesn't really seem possible that they're headed to high school. In fact, it seems like we were just hosting Career Awareness Day for them at Westwood and asking them what they want to be when they grow up. The time has come when it's no longer a rhetorical question for them. If we could turn back time, I'd share this new book with them, for sure.

When her school announces their upcoming Career Day, Annie wants to keep her career choice a secret to surprise her family at the presentation. So while they may know that Annie wants to be an astronaut, each family member guesses something that he or she wishes Annie would consider. And while you already know from the title and some pretty obvious clues throughout that Annie wants to be an Astronaut, I suspect you might be as pleased with the end as I was, when Annie took a little piece of each of her family's influence and values to blast off into the dream career she wants to pursue. 


If you want a new title {Release is set for March 8, 2018}, check out Astronaut Annie by Suzanne Slade. In the back, you'll find some info on space travel and a spotlight on some women astronauts to share with your budding scientists. Compare and contrast it with Jeremy's Decision. Use it as a springboard for your own Career Awareness Event. 

If you're hosting a Career Day and you'd like to Skype with an author (that's me!) or a planetary scientist (that's John!), email and we'll try to make that happen.






No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!